Philip H. Cushing - tree
- Dedication type: Commemorative
- Tree common name: Golden Deodar Cedar
- Tree botanical name: Cedrus deodara 'aurea'
- Location: Mrak Hall Area
- Dedication Number: 328
Philip H. Cushing attended UC Davis from 1920 – 1923. He graduated from the Farm School with a major in Horticulture. In 1955 he returned to UC Davis and became the Grounds Superintendent. Phil prepared and supervised plans for landscaping around many UC Davis buildings and avenues. He was a member of the Arboretum Committee and supervised an early renovation of the arboretum.
In the late 1950’s, Phil worked with Ed Gedling to collect seed and reintroduce the beautiful golden flower, the Gelding Lupine, which we have come to enjoy each spring. While walking along the arboretum during this time of year, please stop to enjoy the beautiful lupines that Phil worked to establish.
To quote Chancellor Emil M. Mrak at Phil’s retirement, “Phil has been tending, building and babying our gardens for 25 years. His nurturing of the trees, plants, and grass might be likened to the pouring in of love to bring a young child to maturity, for in his time, Davis has grown from a young campus to a mature one.”
In his honor, Phil had a golden Deodar Cedar planted east of the Grounds Building on the slope down to the creek. The evergreen is a stately, long-lived tree that is fitting for a man that gave so much to the campus. He also had a bench dedicated in his name. It is located east of the Cross Cultural Center.
Phil married Katherine Haller Cushing and had two children, Barbara and Haller. Barbara married Andrew Imbrie and had two sons, Andrew and John. Haller married Rosemarie Perata and had two daughters, Susan and Katherine.
Phil spent his retirement gardening in south Davis, harvesting numerous basketfuls of produce and flowers and regularly distributed them to friends and neighbors until he passed away in 1985.
In the photo above Philip is pictured in the middle.
Tree & Plaque
Golden Deodar Cedar
Cedrus deodara aurea
Planted in honor of
Superintendent of Grounds 1948 - 1969
30 March 1970